St Ann’s Curriculum Intent
Modern Foreign Languages
At St Ann’s our intention is to provide a Modern Foreign Languages Curriculum which allows children to foster their curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. It will also enable children to understand and respond to speakers, in both speech and writing and to communicate in the foreign language. Learning a Foreign Language will provide children with the opportunity to appreciate that God created us all equal yet different, and will allow them to the explore ways in which we are all special in our own unique way. Children will have a deeper understanding of other cultures, providing a liberation from insularity.
We want children to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to learn new ways of thinking about how we use language to communicate. Through careful and creative planning, we aim to motivate and inspire the children to enjoy developing their language skills and building their confidence to become effective communicators. We intend to provide a secure foundation for further language learning, by having a secure knowledge of the fundamentals of Foreign Language learning.
Throughout the curriculum children will be given opportunities:
- to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, through a variety of carefully planned activities.
- to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using a variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- to discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
We aim to develop the standards of the pupils’ abilities in the four skills of:
We aim to increase the opportunities for the children to experience:
- stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- the phonics and spellings of the language
- cultural and religious festivals celebrated in Target Language countries
- whole school language days, looking a variety of languages