Important: In these uncertain times, we expect that the children will be using computers and the internet more than ever, so safer internet messages are particularly important. Please refer to our INTERNET SAFETY page for regular updates and advice.
Welcome to Year 1
Teachers: Mrs Eccles and Miss Littlewood (Class 1), Mrs Reed (Class 2). Teaching Assistants: Mrs Espley/Mrs Farrar
Please see the link below to access the Year 1 spelling list for the Autumn Term.
If your child has access to a computer or tablet you can practise the weekly spelling game we have set on www.play.edshed.com. Your child has their own personal log in stuck on the front of their reading journal. We will carry out a weekly spelling test on Friday mornings.
Reading books are to be handed in on a Thursday and new books will be given out on a Friday.
The Association for Science Education: The ASE have assembled a list of competitions and activities to get children involved in science from home.
Please see link for details - https://www.ase.org.uk/competitions-engage-pupils-during-lockdown
Reading and Phonics:
- Access Oxford Owl to find ebooks to read daily.
- Play some phonics games on phonicsplay.co.uk
- Keep practising phase 3 and phase 5 sounds.
- Keep a record of books you read. Which ones are fiction/ non fiction?
- Practise writing sentences including split digraphs
- Practise forming your letters correctly. Remember how tall/short some letters should be and how your capital letters should be much taller than your lower case letters.
- Can you write a message to someone and then read it back to them over video?
- Play Bud's Number Garden
- Use hit the button to practice your number bonds - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Practise doubling numbers.
- Practise cutting your food into half then quarters
- Can you join in with the body coach - Joe Wicks P.E lessons live streamed at 9am every morning https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1/vide
Use the Cosmic Yoga Youtube channel to practise some yoga.
- Keep looking at the PE page for suggested activities to keep you fit and healthy
Please find a list of fun and educational websites that you might enjoy exploring. We have categorised the list by subject. Subject Specific Websites
Every Wednesday morning.
Please ensure your child brings in their PE kit. For details of the school PE kit, please click here
Spellings / Homework
Spellings will be given out every Friday to be tested the following Friday.
Homework will be given out every Friday and is to be handed in by Wednesday. Due to the current situation your child's homework task is to learn their spellings, read their reading books and practice their 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
Please support your child in completing their homework neatly in pencil.
Suggested reading list
The Man on the Moon (A day in the life of Bob)
By Simon Bartram
Can’t You Sleep Little Bear?
By Martin Waddell
Not Now Bernard
By David McKee
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
By Judith Kerr
Where the Wild Things Are
By Maurice Sendak
Lost and Found
By Oliver Jeffers
By Faye Hanson
Cops and Robbers
By Alan and Janet Ahlberg
By Alexis Deacon
Would you Rather?
By John Burningham
The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
By Jill Tomlinson
The Day the Crayons Quit
By David Daywalt
Peace at Last
By Jill Murphy
The Enormous Crocodile
By Roald Dahl
Help and Advice
Phonics Play - - children may find this fun and useful for practising their Phonics skills
Top Marks - another fun website